1. European Union compliance message: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please log in or sign up to comment.
    Dismiss Notice

One small media peeve

By kevin mchugh, Apr 21, 2017.

1. kevin mchugh

kevin mchugh Well-Known Member

I hate the way the media uses quotes from well known people as if they are news. I respect the right for every American to express their opinions. I don't care how famous you are, your opinions are not news, and do not belong on the headline page.

Maybe I'm in the minority here at PC, I definitely have some conservative views. What do you all think?

Obed Ladiny likes this.
  2. Frank Bulb

Frank Bulb Well-Known Member Supporter

Sadly, well-known people nearly wholly constitute the news, hence their opinions too.  I don't agree with how news is prioritised,. . .

Obed Ladiny likes this.
  3. Jay Dougherty

Jay Dougherty Well Worn Supporter Editor

I hate listicles and
    • the ten happiest countries on earth
    • the five best desinations for budget travelers
    • here's why republicans are doomed
    • breaking news
    • after this message
    • quickly, in 30 seconds
    • "if you think you've seen new england, think again"
    • counterfactual
    I used to be a journalist. I tried to be literary when I could, but I despised the profession before I entered it, and now that I'm out, my opinion is back to where it started, except lower. How many eyeballs? How many clicks?

Up next: Trump lashes out against Americans that are as stupid as he is.

Obed Ladiny and TrishSaunders like this.
  4. James Stephen

James Stephen Well-Known Member

Crack me up, Jay - as for the state of the news a member of the Mohawk tribe once summed up the news to me as "morbid fascination entertainment"- and he was right. :kool:

5. kevin mchugh

I remember when events were news, and opinions were on the editorial page.

Frank Bulb likes this.
  6. Jay Dougherty

Jay Dougherty Well Worn Supporter Editor

We probably all remember too much—and talk too much about it.

7. kevin mchugh

Not me, I have alcohol induced memory lapses.

It's all Canada's fault
    I'm in a rye induced state
    of mind it should be
    illegal to make whiskey
    taste that good

James Stephen likes this.
  8. Dax

Dax Most Unwanted Member

Hardlines

No one can accuse me of a cheap sniff up the skirt of PBS for a take on fake USA Today or work up a sweat over the blood-pressure of the champagne set that is so hard done by the Manhattan Mob—media has come a long way since 1776 when, as an industry, the press was mentioned in the Constitution for the US.

One door shuts and another opens, I guess. We do things different, stuff happen. We have F-bombs and N-words and Brands to care about. We have out-sized characters and indoor voices. We dine with rats and slaughter our young—all in the name of democracy and The Untouchables. And in such times, a few of us folk simply need to suck and let everyone else blow—capiche.

— The First 144000 minutes —

PS

I
    love
    Kevin

This Theater has many devices.

.​

9. silent lotus

silent lotus _-_== Loiterer ==_-_ Supporter

`

4721970764222684662.png

http://bianet.org/english

This website is published within the framework of "Journalism for Rights, Rights for Journalists" -dubbed as BİA3 - project
    implemented by the IPS Communication Foundation with the financial assistance of the Swedish International development Agency (SIDA).

`

10. kevin mchugh

Io capisco, well said Dax. And thank you, you never hear those words enough outside the family circle. Not to blow a bunch of smoke up your ass, but you have the most creative way of expressing yourself, your point is crystal.

11. TrishSaunders

TrishSaunders Member Supporter Editor

Never better said!

Agree, Kevin....comments are not news.

12. TrishSaunders

TrishSaunders Member Supporter Editor

Because they're lazy....those are all terrible headlines, and somebody thinks a list makes it digestible.  If you want to read great headlines, try the WSJ...don't like the newspaper, print or digital, but love the writing. They have top-rate journalists.

13. Anna Ruiz

Anna Ruiz I have the same religion as that tree over there. Supporter

Everything is palatable in small doses.  That's one of the reasons counterfeit journalism is now enshrined in tweeting bytes.  However, that will never tell the whole story.  It comes out as hearsay and gossip thanks to you-know-who.  (Unless, of course, the tweet is a course of action, who what where and when.  The action itself is the why.)  

Journalism has two main points to be considered:  is it selective or is it holistic?  Imo some writers doing background research for a book are infinitely more thorough than what is considered news today.  Why?  The advent of spin doctors, non-stop advertising invading every area of our lives via Citizen Corporation and its denizen underworld.  

[​IMG]

14. Obed Ladiny

Obed Ladiny Well-Known Member

I agree, kevin. :) I'm assuming maybe it's done for ratings or an attempt to draw certain crowds who wouldn't care or watch except for a celebrity quotation that quickly holds attention. I don't know, just guessing.:rolleyes:

15. kevin mchugh

I'm a little more skeptical than that Obed. I think they think, because of their inflated egos, that their opinion is more important than anyone else's.

Obed Ladiny likes this.
  16. Obed Ladiny

Obed Ladiny Well-Known Member

There are beliefs out there that government elites + certain news outlets + Hollywood = a grand agenda against the people.

I don't know what to think anymore. One thing I know, I feel alot better when I skip a couple days of news.

17. Eliot Jacobson

Eliot Jacobson Not as new to this planet as once I was Supporter Editor

I don't know what you mean by "conservative," but the way I understand "conservative" such a person would DEFINITELY be in the minority here, as well as in academia and the arts in general.

I define myself politically as left of liberal.

A perfect opportunity to use a rarely used tool here on PC. ..

18. Eliot Jacobson

Eliot Jacobson Not as new to this planet as once I was Supporter Editor

19. kevin mchugh

I'm hard to pin down Eliot. I am conservative in terms of Constitutional government, and fiscal responsibility. Otherwise, I am Libertarian. You are free to engage in any activity you care to, as long as it does not harm some one else. That incorporates all life style choices.

I also believe in equal protection under the law. A very fundamental concept that seems to have lost significance. If the law is APPLIED equally, then there is no need to single out segments of society based on race, gender, etc.

20. Anna Ruiz

Anna Ruiz I have the same religion as that tree over there. Supporter

And therein/thereby is the entire paradigm of politics in the United States defined.  

How it is APPLIED, which must take consideration of the Constitution and Constitutional Law--which by its very definition IS the answer to  how, what, why, when monies are appropriated from the citizens and for what purpose? Whose gain?

Constitutional Law changes as the politics of the highest courts do.  How tax money (fiscal responsibility) is used by the powers of the government (at the moment, few are connected to the will that serves, we the people) determines the State of the Nation.

kevin mchugh likes this.