1. European Union compliance message: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loose change

By bodkin, Oct 24, 2010.

More work by bodkin
  1. bodkin

bodkin The none and only...

YouTube version:

Original:

file.gif

2. Stella Read

Stella Read member

standing ovation!!
    (wishI could read faster... I had to refresh a few times)

clever and inventive
    a great post, bodkin

Stella

3. caseyquinn

caseyquinn Well-Known Member

Agreed with Stella, what a great experiment!!! Really like this bodkin!

4. marg v

marg v New Member

wow, Bodkin, thanks for posting this!
    I had a dreaded thought that this is the future of the internet.... free expression may be short lived...

5. R Raymond

R Raymond Guest

409 slides of goodness on this one! I first looked on my iphone and didn't see anything more than one poem. Stella's comment made me fire up the computer and HOT DAMN that was good!

Well done.

6. Tom Riordan

Tom Riordan member

bodlin, I really like this presentation! hard to set it up? tom

7. silent lotus

silent lotus _-_== Loiterer ==_-_

dear Bodkin

this goes so very well with you tag line

In fifteen minutes everybody famous will be in the future...

and Loose Change

jangles very nicely

thumbs up !

silent lotus

8. tiko lewis

tiko lewis i'm invisible

well done!!!!

much enjoyed. ditto Stella
    on reading faster!

tiko

9. Oskar

Oskar Well-Known Member

Ian

I tried to resist the urge to join the Hallelujah chorus on my first viewing of this, as it's the words that count, not the bells and whistles. But I also like bells and whistles, and your techno presentation only added to the enjoyment of a very good poem. Fantastic effort. Really original and exciting. I enjoyed the Blade Runner reference and your use of the Blind Men and the Elephant story. A very pleasurable reading experience.

Cheers and Hallelujah.

10. milner place

milner place Well-Known Member

Very, very effective this, Ian. Apart from the inventive quality, the writing itself would also stand in conventional form, I believe. It's great to see such adventure in the possibilities of using this medium, as long as the quality is there, as in this case.

Cheers

milner

11. bodkin

Thanks Stella!

I did dither quite a while about the right speed to dwell on each sub-poem. What you are getting there is 15 seconds. It doesn't sound long but then the poems are pretty short, and I didn't want anybody giving up before it started to change...

Regards,

Ian

John Johnson likes this.
  12. bodkin

Thanks Casey, Marg, and Tiko,

and glad you came back with the PC RLR! I must admit it had not occurred to me that new-fangled hand-held devices might display animated GIFs differently.

Thanks guys!

Ian

13. bodkin

Tom,

it's not so technically hard, although it did require some attention to detail to get exactly the right display for each of the held frames. It is an animated GIF and all I did was to screen-capture dozens of frames, and then composite those together using a well-known gif making program. I also took advantage of its capability to discard all the parts of every image that were not changing. I can write up the precise procedure if people want to know the ugly details. Shockwave would be capable of very similar things...

Ian

John Johnson likes this.
  14. bodkin

Oskar and milner,

I am glad to hear you finding value in the content rather than the presentation. I must admit I was a little unsure about the individual poems. I had to write them in advance and it was hard to self-edit effectively, knowing they were going into an unknown form of presentation. But when I got them together I found them reinforcing each other, so I was very pleased.

The gimmick/non-gimmick quality is hard to judge. It might count for something if I can do another? OTOH I have a strong disinclination towards repetition and at the moment there is something of a feeling that if I did another it would be "more of the same..."

regards and thanks,

Ian

15. bodkin

SL,

the connection with my signature hadn't actually occurred to me!

thanks for noticing that, it's quite fun.

Ian

16. JoseMarGuerr

JoseMarGuerr Well-Known Member

clever indeed! Enjoyed the show :)

17. ljordan

ljordan Well-Known Member

A real test of the medium. Especially like the inferencing of change in each poem and what changes. Exceptional.

larry

18. tiko lewis

tiko lewis i'm invisible

ah yes, you beat me to it Larry.
    I wanted to give this piece time to
    be seen by all before moving it up.

excellent work indeed.

tiko

19. James Carver

James Carver Well-Known Member

loved the premise of this.much enjoyed

regards

james

20. Lynn Doiron

Lynn Doiron Well-Known Member

I wish I could read faster! I very much like the innovation; and very much like what I could read; but also found a tad of frustration at how the words ran away like quicksliver before I could find the full image/intent/connection to my partnership as reader in this. Still, more of my thumbs pointing UP than down. ;)