1. European Union compliance message: This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doing the Work: An Interview with John Yamrus

By Jay Dougherty, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Jay Dougherty

Jay Dougherty Well Worn Editor

2. Lavonne Westbrooks

Lavonne Westbrooks Well-Known Member Supporter Editor

A fine interview. I have followed john for many years. He never fails to inspire me with his down to earth, plain speaking observations of life.

Jay Dougherty likes this.
  3. TrishSaunders

TrishSaunders Member Supporter Editor

excellent interview, Jay....in every way.

Jay Dougherty likes this.
  4. Lavonne Westbrooks

Lavonne Westbrooks Well-Known Member Supporter Editor

Bringing this forward again. John has some great books available. Check him out!

5. Jenn Zed

Jenn Zed Solid State Gynoid Editor

Thanks for the bump, Lavonne .. enjoyed the interview.

6. I like this John Yamrus fellow.

7. Marie Christiansen

Marie Christiansen . Supporter

8. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

thanks a million, Lavonne...you've been a strong presence and a real supporter for many years and i appreciate it very very much.

Bethany Lim and Cheryl.Leverette like this.
  9. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

Thanks, Jay...over the course of my "career" i've been interviewed tons of times, but not often with the same wit, intelligence and preparation you brought to the table.  thank you.  jy

10. Eliot Jacobson

Eliot Jacobson Not as new to this planet as once I was Supporter Editor

Great interview! Thank you John! Thank you Jay!

Pondering the choice to use a sans serif font for the title (first line) and serif for the body of the poems given in the interview.

11. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

hey, thanks!  i'm glad you liked it!  it was a piece of cake with Jay...if you check out my website, you'll see instances of interviews and tv and radio appearances that were in substantially less competent hands than Jay's.  a good host or interviewer makes all the difference in the world.  john

12. Eliot Jacobson

John, where can I get a copy of "Bark"? - Amazon is sending me to third-party sellers.

13. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

i'm guessing "third party sellers" is my publisher, Epic Rites Press...  that's legit.  good choice!  as far as my books go, that's my best selling title to date (a relative term, for sure), soon to go into a 4th printing.  if you're concerned about buying only on amazon, you might do well with my latest, I ADMIT NOTHING, or the one that immediately came before that, ALCHEMY.  if you're still wanting BARK and don't want a third part seller, you can reach me thru the "contact" tab on my website and we can work something out.  john

14. I am so glad to see you, John!

15. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

thank you.  but, truth be told...thank Jay for the idea.  john

Cheryl.Leverette likes this.
  16. well, you're here. :)

17. Eliot Jacobson

Okay, got it from Amazon third party seller. Thanks!

18. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

no, thank you!  i really appreciate it.  concerning BARK...like i said, of my 27 books, it's by far my best selling title ever.   and, being a book about dogs, it's exposed my work to a much wider audience of people who might not normally even THINK of reading poetry.  lucky for me, it's not unusual for people to return and re-order multiple copies as gifts for friends and family who are also dog lovers.  anyway, thank you!  john

19. Eliot Jacobson

Yes ... I am getting it as a gift for my wife for our anniversary ... but of course, it's also for me.  Thank you for buying so many poetry books yourself. I buy whenever I go to a public reading for a poet who has a book for sale, but rarely buy otherwise (except for a few favs I have). The reason Bark caught my eye was your YouTube reading. Cheers.

20. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

thanks a million, Eliot.  when you read it, please post your thoughts (good or bad) on PC.  also, if you're tempted to try more of my books, you might start with either I ADMIT NOTHING (the newest of the bunch) or ALCHEMY (which came right before it).  they're most representative of where my work stands at the moment.  I ADMIT NOTHING is the book that Jay used to pull the poems from for the interview.

21. silent lotus

silent lotus _-_== Loiterer ==_-_ Supporter

Silly Me
    Oct 1, 2006.

http://poetrycircle.com/forum/threads/silly-me.2441/

silly me
    i’m
    a pack rat.

i save
    everything.

i must have
    at least 250 pens
    saved (just
    in case…).

i’ve got
    bits and pieces
    of cable wire
    and connectors.

curtain rods
    from windows
    in an old apartment.

dried flowers,
    bricks,
    bits of boards.

i’ve even got
    tacked up
    on the wall
    right in front of me now
    a veterinary appointment card
    from a dog
    that died
    two years ago.

god, i loved that dog.

John Yamrus

`

22. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

thanks!  this ended up in my book BARK.  i always liked that poem and especially loved that dog.

23. silent lotus

silent lotus _-_== Loiterer ==_-_ Supporter

24. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

some may enjoy (some may not) this selection of my work published 2 weeks ago in Kosovo....it also references  and links Jay's interview
    http://www.fekt.org/john-yamrus/

25. Michael Ashley

Michael Ashley Fuckwit Extraordinaire Editor

Great interview! Enjoyed.

26. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

Michael!  thanks.  after 47 years at this i only know of one way to operate...and, while i rarely turn down interview requests or chances to read, as i've grown older (i'll be 66) i've started picking my shots...and getting the call from Jay for an interview was just something i couldn't very well pass up.  jy

27. Michael Ashley

Michael Ashley Fuckwit Extraordinaire Editor

Well it's good to see you here again! :) Never change!

28. Dax

Dax Most Unwanted Member

Hi John,

Stay well, good.

Dax

29. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

back at ya, D.

Dax likes this.
  30. John Yamrus

John Yamrus New Member

i just agreed to a guest spot interview on Marcia Epstein's radio program.  she asked for links i thought might be helpful to her show prep...i copied her in on this cool conversation with Jay Dougherty.

Michael Ashley, Heather Adams and Dax like this.
Tags: